Sunday, December 18, 2011

Saturday Recap - with a Wildcat 10K RR

It's a week until Christmas and I am pretty happy with where we're at.  There are only a few gifts under the tree - my kids have gotten to that point where what they want doesn't always go easily under a tree and sometimes it's the experience of getting the gift for them that's more important.  Lyndsay and I went to the outlets Friday night to get her Coach bag and it was fun just being there and helping her choose what she wanted.  I will take those moments over the unwrapping around the tree any day! 

Really, one of the most special things we did this year as a family was adopting a family at the local domestic violence shelter and buying gifts off of their Christmas list for them.  It is a gift to be able to help someone else, and I feel so blessed in my own life, and wanted to pass that on.  I hope the kids love their gifts and I hope that this coming year is a blessed one for them and their mom.  They deserve to have that chance.  No matter how little the difference we can make in someone else's life, it's worth making the effort to do it.  It can mean more than we realize.  We dropped off our gifts for the family Saturday morning and I got a little emotional about it.  I've been there and it's a tough thing to go through.  God bless that family.  They'll be in my prayers, not just now at Christmas, but often. 

Then it was time to get ready to run!  Back home for some snacks and to get dressed.  Brr....it was still chilly so it's always the shorts/long pants debate.  I think Troy and I were both happy we chose longer pants when we actually got there, as well as being glad we grabbed hats and gloves on our way out the door.  I was pretty anxious about this race because I'd been hearing horror stories about the hills.  And, now that I've run it?  Yeah, the hills were tough.  Especially that middle one from halfway through mile 4 up to a bit past mile 5 but it wasn't as awful as I'd been told to be prepared for.  I had a great run, even running the first two miles with the hubby before I cut him loose to pick up his pace. The atmosphere was nice, people were chatty and the cars were respectful for the most part.  And the subway cookies post race were pretty awesome!!!  So, I came in at an hour for my first 10K.  Technically my race time was 1:00:28:96 but all I care about is that 1:00 because my goal was an hour or less.  I was so happy as I pushed to the finish that it was an hour...and then it was time to pack up and head to Starbucks for a mocha to warm up.  That's the way to wrap up a chilly Saturday run! 

The rest of our Saturday was just as nice - headed to Sonnewald for some groceries, going shopping for some good deals, (more running stuff, lol) a little white pizza for a late dinner, and an epsom salt bath with a glass of wine to round it out.  Life just is sublime sometimes even when it's nothing special at all.  Just having people around you that you love, and remembering to enjoy the routine of life makes every little moment special.  And I love my life!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me