Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Marathon Training Begins in 7 days!!!

I am so ready to start training hardcore.  Well, as soon as I shake this cold.  Luckily, it's a head cold so I'm not worried about running with it like I would be with a chest cold, but it's rained a miserable, cold rain all day and that has not inspired any oomph to get out the door and run.  Instead, I had breakfast with a friend, took a short nap and took our older doggies for their annual check up.  I even made lasagna for dinner, so I felt pretty accomplished despite my inactivity!  The last few days have been holiday mode of grazing all day, and not always healthy grazing.  So, having a good dinner tonight really was in order.  It was also a special time because everyone was home.  And eating at the same time.  That truly doesn't happen that often so it was a rare treat.  I loved spending time in front of the tv watching cooking shows with both kids because it gives me a chance to share something I'm excited about it with both of them.  It means a lot when they choose to spend that time with me, I used to take that for granted but now I treasure every minute, every moment for the treasure that it is.

Back to marathon training...  I do feel ready to take this challenge on, more so than I was last year.  It has been a terrific year running and I want to at least prove to myself I can tackle that hurdle.  I got some new running trail shoes with a gift card from a friend so I can rotate shoes a bit now and be ready to destroy my old pair come race day with four (yep, four!) water crossings.  So, my first trail run with the new shoes was Sunday and it was a hard, hard run.  I don't know if my legs were still a bit stressed from the 12 miles of Christmas run or if it was just the cold coming on but I struggled to finish 4 miles.  But I'm not stressed about it, some days are just not great runs.  I am hoping to get some miles in on the bike trainer tonight but it's not a guarantee since I'm sick, so I'm playing it by ear. 

This week's training schedule (even though the week is halfway over)

Tues - (tonight) Bike Trainer - 5 miles or so at least
Wed -Trail Run - at least 6 miles - Pinchot if possible which is 9+miles
Thurs - Road Run loop 8 miles if 6 miles Wed, 4 miles if 9 miles or more on Wed.
Fri - Bike Trainer
Sat - Small Road Run Loop or Rail Trail Ride
Sun - Long Run - 10+

All in all, I just want to get over my cold and get ready to really hit the marathon training but not neglect the cycling.  Since our two events are so close, we need to be ready for both equally so it will be a nice mental and physical challenge to get there and finish.  I think I'll be so excited to say we did it and accomplished them both! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me