Thursday, December 29, 2011

Looking Back to Look Forward

I am not a big resolution type person.  I don't believe in the "I'll start my diet on Monday" mentality.  If I want to make a change, or do something different, I figure there's no time like the present.  But a friend recently blogged her 45 things to-do list and I liked that.  No goals, just things she'd like to accomplish in the coming year, no matter how simple or unrealistic.  But before I can decide what I'd like to accomplish next year, maybe it's time to reflect on all that I did in 2011 and how I can really improve on it.

So, in 2011...

I ran.  A lot.  817 miles as of today.  Yay, me!  I was really, really hoping to hit the 1000 mark, but I also biked about 300 miles so I won't complain all that much about missing it.  Besides, that's what 2012 is for!!

I biked a metric century.  I really didn't think I had it in me.  The last 15 miles felt like they lasted a lifetime.  It was raining so hard it hit your legs and arms like sleet and made the paint lines on the road like a slip and slide.  Good times, good times.  But I did it and I didn't even break down. So, of course, in 2012 I am signed up to do a full century!  About 40 more miles should be okay, right?

I welcomed my daughter home.  I ended 2010 feeling like I had lost part of my heart because she was gone and our relationship seemed gone with her.  But she's here, she's safe and I am glad to have the chance again to be her mom.  Starting off 2012 with her focused on her future and knowing I love her is all the goal I need.

I became mom to a 16 year old.  Whew.  And he takes his driver's license test tomorrow.  I can only hope that 2012 is a safe one for him and for us.

I started a food blog.  It started simply enough as a way to combine my passion with writing and sharing some food ideas with friends and it has grown.  I love interacting with other food bloggers and reading their ideas.  For 2012, I hope to keep improving my photography skills, expand my food knowledge and feel a bit more like I belong.

I started my garden after two years of saying I wanted one.  It was more awesome than I thought it would be.  Having fresh fruits and vegetables was amazing.

I stood up for myself and my business and took back control from a system that had become so powerful that my daycare was losing it's identity and it's purpose.  I am finishing 2011 knowing that I am where I want to be, need to be, and will continue to be as long as I can.  I have fantastic families that I am also blessed to count as friends and I am very happy with my career choice!  2012 will continue to be a year of knowing my purpose and being a friend and teacher to all the little ones!!


I celebrated 17 years of marriage to my best friend.  I can't say enough that Troy is my rock.  He is the one person who understands me better than anyone else in this world and he still loves me.  It's amazing every time I consider that.  Wow.  I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I'm glad I did whatever it was.  Here's looking forward to more running, more biking and more memories in 2012!

I reconnected with my father in 2011 and gained a brother and sister in the process!  It's been so fun getting to know them and I am hoping to have the chance to really get to know them better in 2012!  

But not everything that happened in 2011 was positive.  I lost a good friend from high school and also lost my maternal grandmother.  I know death is a part of life but these two losses really hit me hard.  Big Mike was a great friend, he was just the guy who would do anything for anyone.  When my ex-husband, Mike, died, Big Mike was one of only a few people who came to his apartment, helped sort through his things and help clean up.  I will forever be grateful for his friendship in that time, and for so many other times.  My grandmother has been written about on this blog many times.  She was one of the most special, wonderful people I ever had in my life and I am just happy that she got to be my Grandma and to be my children's "Greatmom."

So, my to-do list in 2012 will not be as adventurous as Courtney's was...but I'll give it a shot!

1. Run a marathon (hopefully this will happen on 4/28/12)
2. Bike a century (hopefully this will happen on 5/5/12)
3. Do a triathlon, even if it's a small one
4. Run at least 1000 miles
5. Get 1000 followers either on Homemade Served Here's facebook page or Google followers
6. Learn how to really use our new camera :)
7. Expand my garden and get more berry bushes
8. Freeze/Can enough vegetables and fruits to get us through the entire winter, not just fall ;-)
9. Take a real vacation - maybe over Christmas - that may even require air travel.
10. Do agility training with Troop
11. Become completely debt free 
12. Have an article published in a "real" magazine
13. Spend an entire day running ala this blog post from Kristin Armstrong
14. Bike/Run 40 miles on my 40th birthday since we didn't get to run 40 for Troy's (combine #13 and #14?)
15. Make up for missing camping last year with Brieanna, Adrian and Noah by having a great camping trip in 2012!
16. Winefest 2012, baby!  Here's to Year #3 with the girls in OC!

That's it.  Pretty boring, huh?  But it's my list and I like it.  So, here's wishing 2011 a fond farewell and looking forward to an awesome, awesome 2012!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sheri! This is Awesome! Your goals are HUGE, and having had the privilege to have met you only this year, I have NO DOUBT that you shall achieve each and every one of them! Best wishes in the New Year!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Kathleen! I am glad to have met you this year and am looking forward to lots more runs together!

Jennifer said...

I'm a daycare provider too! I just wanted to take care of other people's children and provide parents with the same security I have keeping my children at home. There are so many changes happening in daycare licensing in my state right now, I'm not sure I'm going to do it my own way much longer. It's so frustrating!

Great list for 2012, by the way. There's a lot of big things on it. Good luck!

Unknown said...

It is frustrating when other people are telling you how to run your business. I have to follow state guidelines of course, but I chose to walk away from the voluntary quality program that was put in place. It just didn't fit into my vision for my program anymore and it just was time. I am happier, the kids are happier, and, because of that, the families are happier. I know it was the right choice for me. I hope you are able to keep your daycare's identity through the changes to come. :)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me