Monday, April 30, 2012

Wishing for Blisters

So, when returning home on Saturday I noticed that the blisters that had plagued my run had disappeared.  Nowhere to be found.  I was confused.  I'd seen red, raw skin on my foot, felt the searing burn of a blister but yet, nothing was there.  Hmmm.  So, I went to bed that night and woke up the next morning to some stiffness and a bit of pain but nothing awful.  I looked my foot over carefully, searching for any remnant of something that would explain the pain.  Again, nothing. 

Troy suggested a hike or a walk and I thought it sounded like a good idea.  He'd been alternating heat and ice on his back and it was feeling looser and getting out of the house sounded good.  That was, until we got out there.  About a mile into our hike, the burning pain of the phantom blister returned.  I was sure there was a blister this time.  Got back to the car and I was in serious pain.  Took off my shoe...nothing.  Not even a blemish or hint of redness this time.  So, I went home, rested it and called it a day.  I started really wracking my brain, trying to figure out what was going on.  I googled over and over using all kinds of different search phrases.  Nothing.  Then, I happened to remember that during a massage last week I had a bone that was a bit out of place which hurt pretty badly being popped back in.  I sent my massage therapist a text, asking her to call me.  After talking with her in depth, it became pretty obvious it sounded like plantar fasciitis.  I went online, did a lot more research and yep, I have every symptom of it.  So, now, it's time to rest it.  And stretch it.  And rest it some more.  No running.  Me?  No running?  Wow. That's going to be a tough deal around here.  If the pain is still worsening by the end of the week, I know I'll be forced to go to the doctor for a more thorough examination but I know there's really nothing that can be done to speed my recovery along. 

On the plus side, at least I am even more certain I made the right choice in not going out for loop #2 of the marathon.  I would be in a lot more pain I'm sure.  I have a lot of running plans for the summer and I want to be healed up and ready to take on the next challenge, and at least this is better than the stress fracture I was starting to panic and think was a possibility! Whoever would have thought I would have been wishing I had massive blisters!!

So, I'm not the ironclad runner I thought I was.  Even though I get a sports massage monthly and roll regularly, I was getting sloppy.  Lately I've been going to sleep and not rolling and stretching my feet as well as my back and legs because I've just been tired.  So, I guess that's coming back to bite me.  I know that I was cautious in my mileage progressions and didn't do too much too soon or anything like that but I still wasn't being as careful as I could be about switching terrains and I did way too much running on the left side of the road and it obviously took it's toll on my left foot.  Today is the worst pain yet, and I am just so angry that it hurts.  But I'll be more careful moving forward and remember that without my feet, I can't run so they deserve that time for stretching and rolling too.  Just a good reminder for everyone! 

To everyone in my life, I apologize in advance for the nasty, grumpy creature I am probably going to turn into despite my best efforts.  I will do my best to keep my good mood up despite losing my favorite outlet for all the negative emotions but please bear with me.  :)  Let's just hope for a short recovery and that I'll be back out there pounding the trails and roads soon!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me