Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Run Fun!

Even though our calendar firmly stated that today was a 9 mile run day, hubby and I trashed the plan for the day and instead headed out to do a 15 mile trail run with some friends.  And I'm so glad we did!  We ran at the lakes - somewhere that I usually avoid because it's tight single track with a lot of foliage in the summer as well as being one of the hillier places around to run.  I like to run where I know what's coming around the next bend and this was definitely outside of my comfort zone.  But that's a good thing.  We all need a shake up sometimes.  Our group was 11 strong at the beginning, and along the way we dropped down to 6 by the end....and I loved that everyone in our group was okay with that.  No expectations, no judgement, just a bunch of friends thankful for whatever time or miles anyone could spare on a chilly February morning. 

I had been fighting some pretty severe nausea this morning, but headed out anyway because usually running helps that.  It did, but the hills really took a toll on me.  I was a lot slower than normal and had to walk a lot of the hills toward the end.  I felt strong for completing the run, but felt a bit weak that I had to go so slow a lot of the time.  I was so grateful for friends and fellow runners who get that.  I will be so thankful to find the root of this nausea, and am only hoping that it will be a quick fix and I'll be back to myself.  It's been a long five weeks fighting it every day. 

Heading home, I just felt so good!  Sore, of course I was a bit sore, but I just felt so alive.  I love that part of running.  You just feel exhilarated like you could take on anything.  It sounds so cliched but it really is true.  Those endorphins pack a powerful punch.  Even tonight, after doing some foam rolling and taking it easy, I am still feeling good in accomplishing those miles.  Running gives me peace in my crazy life, and right now, it gives me the best relief from my illness so I'll run every chance I get. 

So, whenever you've got a chance to trash the plan and take a chance on doing something a bit out of your comfort zone - grab it and do it.  You never know...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me