Monday, January 16, 2012

And he's off!

The boy now has a car.  So far today he has driven to get gas, to get oil, to exchange an oil filter from the oil trip earlier, and now is visiting a friend.  Think he's excited to be driving?  It's so funny watching him - sometimes he seems just so darn old, and then other times I can still catch a glimpse of my little boy in that big almost-a-man's body.  Before I know it, he'll be off doing more and more on his own, not needing us to take him, pick him up or whatever else we used to do.  It's a strange feeling when the kids fly off on their own.  I guess at least we've got the dogs - they still need us!

Cally, Junie and Troop playing

So, besides spending all of our time looking for a car for the boy, we've really been upping the running!  As of now, I'm at 62 miles for the month...but it's been some cold runs!  Friday's run was exceptionally difficult with the wind gusts.  We'd geared up for trail running, thinking we'd have some protection from the wind in the woods, but when we arrived at the park, the gates were closed.  I called the park office and was told it was closed because of the high wind advisory - so we headed to a park that has a cross country course but the openness of the fields plus fierce wind made for a really, really grumpy Sheri!  After 3.5 miles, I was seriously done.  So, we decided to call it a day, swap our 6 mile run for the 3 mile run the next day and I was so glad.  It was one of those runs that makes me question whether or not I'm really a runner, and I HATE that voice in my head.  Hubby had to remind me of the quote "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"  And I can do it and I did it.  What a great quote because it's so true. 

Luckily, the park was reopened the next day and I had a fabulous trail run until 5.75 miles in when I rolled my ankle pretty badly.  Yuck!  What a way to wrap up what had been a wonderful run.  But I finished it out running and babied the ankle the rest of the evening.  But, we'd planned to run 14 miles at another park the next day and with time constraints because of getting the boy's car and my ankle, we swapped it for a road run.  Yeah!  It was so cold that my water bottles froze in my fuel belt but it was beautiful, sun-drenched run - one of my favorite loops to do from home.  I was so thankful to be out there, to be running, to be part of the stillness of a Sunday morning.  It's just a feeling that can't be described only felt.  There are times when I'm running that I really forget I'm running - that I just keep moving and thinking and praying and thinking some more.  It's "me" time at it's best.  I am thankful every day for my life, for my family, for my career and that I get to be thankful for so much.  I know I must sound so sappy and overly sweet and sentimental but sometimes in life you just endure so much, propelling yourself forward only for the sake of moving forward because that's just what needs to be done.  And, then, to realize that you made it. You're there, living the life you never thought you would be, is just an amazing thought.  I love my life.  Plain and simple.

So, I will enjoy the simple, quiet moments with my husband now that the boy has a car and will be gone every chance he gets, and the girl is gone so much, working on the next chapter of her life, because that makes me appreciate all the crazy moments when we are all together even more.  We all went out to dinner Friday night and it was the best time in a long time even in a crowded restaurant, stuck next to the bar listening to the drunks, because we were together, just sharing our day, enjoying the moments and I just want to hold all of those moments close and remember them.

Because all too soon....they're off.  :)  Enjoy those little moments, today and every day.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Your gratitude is inspiring!

Unknown said...

Aww...thank you, Kathleen! Now - don't you owe me a run this week? ;)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me