Monday, May 21, 2012

Lost?

As one of my friends mentioned yesterday, I tend to be getting lost a lot lately.   Yesterday, Troy and I were out for a run to test out a half marathon route we'll be running in a few weeks for our long run.  Troy made me repeat the route changes several times to make sure I knew where I was going.  We were both going to attempt race pace so he wouldn't be waiting at the intersections for me, and he was worried I'd get lost.  After all, we'd decided to half of the course last week and I did get lost, turning right where I should have gone left.  A mile later, I realized my mistake, and at that point, I should have turned around but thought I could "fix" my mistake and pick up the road a bit later. 

Well, that would have worked if A.  Troy had not been waiting about a 1/2 mile from where I'd made my mistake and was getting worried as heck and B. If the road had been a mile from where I was, not three up and down rolling hills that felt like mountains.    If anyone is familiar with Harmony Grove Rd in Dover, PA, you know what I mean.  So by the time I got to where I should have met Troy, he was meeting me with the car.  Uh-oh.  As relieved as I was to have met up with him finally, I knew he was NOT going to be happy.  He had waited as long as he could and then ran back to the car as fast as he could because he didn't know where I was.  I felt like a jerk.  I'd ruined his run and I promised if I ever got turned around again, I would turn around and go right back to where I'd last known the right direction. 

So, the next few days we did some trail running with friends, a 26 mile bike ride and a 6 mile hike with the dogs.  All uneventful.  Well, except the trail running, because I was having one of those nights that just suck the life out of your legs.  I couldn't manage the hills at all. Disappointing, but I know it happens so I tried not to beat myself up too much.  Fast forward to Sunday's Long Run...

As I said, I repeated, repeated and repeated one more time what the roads were that I need to turn on.  North Salem to Schoolhouse to Clearview to Sky Top to Fish & Game to Deep Hollow to Oriole to Conewago and then back to Schoolhouse and North Salem.  Sounds easy, right?  Well, I did great until mile 9 or so.  There was an intersection of Conewago and Colonial and the road sign was a bit turned.  I wasn't sure which road was which.  I took out my phone, looked at the map, and turned right because I thought that was the right way.  Wrong.  I'm running along, two miles down the road when I notice a mailbox...Colonial Rd...hmmm.  That was NOT right.  I stopped.  I thought.  What should I do?  Turn around and head back to the intersection like I'd PROMISED I'd do?  Troy wasn't waiting for me and it wasn't a mile, it was 2 and I could see I was coming up to a major road, so I opted to turn the corner and see where I was.  I did call and leave a message for Troy so he knew I'd turned wrong and might need a rescue ride, lol. 

When I got up to the road, my heart sank when I saw where I was.  I was about 5 miles from the end of our run and I was 11 miles in.  Wow....that was not a good feeling.  I called Troy again, told him where I was and which way I'd be heading.  By now, I was getting a little discouraged feeling.  I was almost out of water, and the road I was on was nothing by more hills.  I just kept on moving, not trying to focus on the miles ahead but I was pretty thankful when I heard my phone ring.  I gave Troy my location and then settled back into my run knowing I would soon be done and headed home.  So at mile 12, I saw his car crest the hill.  Yay!  I collapsed into the seat, thanked him for not being grumpy at me for being lost again, and apologized.  He was pretty gracious about the whole situation, even though I didn't follow directions and double back.  I still would have been 5 miles away at that point anyway so it didn't make much of a difference. 

So, the bigger question....why do I keep getting lost!?!   I am a little unsettled by all these rescue calls I've had to make lately.  I hope that this isn't a trend that will be continuing...but if it does, I am thankful to have a hubby who doesn't tease me too unmercifully. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Journey of Me